Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Winter in Montreal


It's been about 2 years since our first trip to Montreal for Mitya's interview. We came around this time of year, in the beginning of February, smack dab in the middle of winter. I remember walking around the streets, my eyes stinging from the wind blowing snow into them, and thinking, "Who says Montreal is nice? They obviously didn't come here in the winter!"


Our first winter in Montreal, though warmer than usual, was still the coldest winter I'd ever experienced. With temperatures ranging from -10C to -20C (below 0F), I quickly realized that all of my winter gear, while decent in New York, were of no use for a place covered in snow between December and March. I invested in a pair of Pajar boots, which have been worth every penny, and took to wearing two sweaters under my coat. I also realized that wearing mittens over my gloves helped a lot.


That being said, the hardest part about the winter isn't the cold, but the darkness. The sun usually sets around 4 pm in December and January, and it's dark by 5. It's quite depressing, but now we're starting to pull out of it!



Here's a video Mitya shot from Jean-Drapeau Parc when we first came here in February. It's the perfect anti-advertisement of Montreal!



No comments:

Post a Comment